Friday, October 1, 2010

The best dessert, they are from my grandmother

My grandmother, she bakes the best cakes, and sweets, and cookies…
I know, I know, this is the expected, the major cliché; exceedingly common for a person to say this.  Regardless, I believe this fact (that my grandma’s cakes are the most delicious) to be a valid subject to communicate in this post.
It’s not only me, but many other Venezuelan’s seem to think so as well, as she is a considerably popular pastry chef in the region. Besides to rub shoulders with the best chef in Caracas gourmet world, she had being special guest –numerous times - at renowned food TV programs, and her recipes had been published in more than one Magazine.  Her “dulcitos criollos” had won prizes in Paris’ Food Festivals and her Chocolate Cake had delighted tables from Germany to remote places as Australia.
As if not enough my “Abuela Gata”, as we grandchildren call her, has a very large philanthropic work, dedicating a big part of her life to charities, covering from being a volunteer nurse at the burned section of J.M. de los Rios, Caracas’ Children Hospital, to donate to “Fundacion Nuevo D.I.A.” – dedicated to assist low-income autistic children - all the profit of her book entitled “El divino placer de comer sabroso” (The divine pleasure of delicious eating).
My “Abuela Gata” is Carmen Elena Luciani Uribe, better known as "La Gata Luciani", born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela, were she still works and resides. She is the mother of my mother.

By the way, her book is rightfully titled and it’s filled with truly the most delicious recipes. My Personal favorite is “Galletas con chocolate” (Cookies with chocolate), a wonderful and extremely easy to prepare dessert that I have enjoyed making – and eating - since I was very young. Today I’d like to share it with you.       
 
Galletas con Chocolate (10 a 12 portions)
Ingredients:
150 grams (5.5 oz.) of baking semisweet chocolate
A bit of milk
¼ Kg (9 oz.) of unsalted butter
200 g (7 oz.) of powdered sugar
4 eggs yolks
1 packet of “Galletas Maria”, traditional Spanish biscuits (it can be substituted with graham crackers).
 
Preparation:
1)      Simmer the chocolate with the milk, until it dissolves. Put it away to cool down.
2)      Using a mixer, cream the butter very well. Then add the powdered sugar and the egg yolks.
3)      Add the melted chocolate and mix well, to obtain a homogeneous cream.
4)      Break the “Galletas Maria” with your hands into big pieces and then incorporate them with the butter cream created previously, using a wooden spoon.
5)      Pour the mixture in a glass piece, previously greased. Places it in the freezer until is ready to eat (is better to leave it overnight).
6)      Divide it using a knife. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Your grandmother sounds like a great woman. I always loved walking into my family's houses and just pausing to smell whatever delicious treat someone was fixing up. I can hardly ever turn down home-made sweets!

    ReplyDelete